I'm a computer guy. I've been programming since the early 80s, starting with BASIC on a Commodore Pet. I've worked on HPUX, BSD and various other *nix as well as Windows since 3.0. My new work provides Apple laptops, but I've never learned to use a Mac. How hard can it be?

Friday, September 27, 2013

Blue Screen of Death

OK, so it isn't blue, it's grey.  And it doesn't come up when the machine dies abruptly, it comes up after it restarts.  But it's the same thing.  I would have sworn one of the common reasons people give for why you should use a Mac instead of Windows is that "it never crashes, you don't have to restart, " etc.  Well, I have news for you.  Mine has crashed 4 times in the last 48 hours.

I checked with our IT guy about it, and he said that it's a good idea to shutdown the Mac every week or so, or restart it, without having it reopen the active windows.  I guess I'm fixating, but I have been really enjoying NOT shutting it down.  I just close it or, if it's on the stand at my desk, unplug the monitor and power and go.  It always wakes up so nice and fast.

I do note that I have had the FitBit dongle plugged into the machine probably since Sunday night or Monday, so I suppose I'll have to take it out and see whether the crashing stops.  In fact, there's a quick result on Google, albeit a year or more old, that suggests FitBit doesn't play well with Macs.  I'll have to go back to syncing the FitBit at home, which means not as often.  Not a big deal, since I already can't have it sync any old time by connecting it to my phone (which doesn't support BTLE).

But really... Macs aren't supposed to crash, and you're not supposed to have to restart them at regular intervals.

The other thing that comes to mind just now is that at work I put it on one a stand.  I normally have it closed.  This is fine when it is sleeping, because it will wake up for my wireless keyboard or Magic Trackpad.  If it is OFF, however, it will not and I actually have to open it to turn it on.  I wonder if there's a way to have it turn on when I plug it in to power, even if it is off and closed?  I'll have to look into that.

No comments:

Post a Comment