I'm a computer guy. I've been programming since the early 80s, starting with BASIC on a Commodore Pet. I've worked on HPUX, BSD and various other *nix as well as Windows since 3.0. My new work provides Apple laptops, but I've never learned to use a Mac. How hard can it be?

Thursday, September 19, 2013

What's in a Name?

Every so often, my MacBook tells me that it's name is being used by another computer.  This is because the computer was named Company MacBook Pro, which clearly some other people's computers are as well.  Possibly including my new boss, who certainly got a new computer that was set up roughly the same was as mine.

It probably doesn't really matter, but I don't like it when it tells me it is going to use a different name than it was before.  After all, we use Salesforce and Google Apps, so it is undoubtedly going to be rare that we actually need to share things directly from our computers.

I hunted around the System Preferences, looking for a place to make that change.  Network.  Security/Privacy. General.  Users & Groups.  Startup Disk.  Nothing.

Then I started looking through the Finder.  I did find a way to open the containing folder for a folder, but couldn't figure out how to get to a place where I could see the computer name as part of a list.  I thought if I could I would be able to click it and there might be a rename option.

So, I asked The Google.  Unsurprisingly, the first link, in Wikihow, gave sufficient detail.  I had overlooked one likely System Preference option:  Sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment